Friday, February 8, 2013

More Thoughts on Reading.....

There was a time when I was growing up that we lived practically next door to a library branch.  You could see the building from the living room window, and I had to walk past it to get home.

So, often I would come home from school, drop my books, change clothes and head to the library.  I spent many hours there reading anything I could get my hands on.  I would choose books by the title, the cover, but not often by the author.  I enjoyed browsing the aisles and looking, touching the spine of each book as I went by.

I loved that library.  It was circular, and had windows all around it.  Even the librarian's table was circular.  Maybe it was the unusual shape that first drew me in, but it did the job.  Oh, this wasn't the first library I had ever been in; but it is the one I remember most.

I would check out my books and bring them home to read.  There was an area off the kitchen, a small room if you will, that had a window seat where I could sit and read quietly without interruption.  With five of us children at home, there was always a radio or TV on, and it was the one quiet place I could read.  I think that is the only thing I miss most about that house: the access to that lovely library, and the windowseat where I spent countless hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...