Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Greek Yogurt Kitchen: More Than 130 Delicious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Day

Author:  Toby Amidor
Genre:  Cooking, Food and Wine

Five Stars

Greek yogurt has quickly become America's favorite health food, its tangy, luscious taste going far beyond a typical breakfast or simple snack. Thanks to its health benefits, this power food has become a staple. Greek yogurt's protein quantity builds muscles and regulates metabolism and the probiotics help maintain a healthy digestive tract and boost the immune system. Greek yogurt is also an excellent source of calcium and very low in sodium-and it's lactose-intolerant friendly too!  Why wouldn't you want it in every meal?

Now, in THE GREEK YOGURT KITCHEN, nutrition expert Toby Amidor shows readers how to cut back on fat and calories without compromising flavor. She shares how to use this most versatile and healthful ingredient in unexpected ways, making even the most bad-for-you foods healthier, tastier, and more satisfying. Recipes include:
--Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
--Herbed Goat Cheese and Red Pepper Crostini
--Penne Bolognese
--White Margarita Pizza
--Spiced Chocolate Cupcakes
--And more!
Greek yogurt has quickly become one of America's favorite foods, its tangy, luscious taste going far beyond a typical breakfast or simple snack. Thanks to its health benefits, this power food has become a staple. Greek yogurt's protein quantity builds muscles and regulates metabolism and the probiotics help maintain a healthy digestive tract and boost the immune system. Greek yogurt is also an excellent source of calcium and very low in sodium-and it's lactose-intolerant friendly, too! Because it is strained, resulting in very low water content, the ingredient is thick, creamy, and indulgent. Why wouldn't you want it in every meal?
********

Okay, this is the first cookbook I've reviewed, but since I love to cook and bake and probably own upwards of over 500 cookbooks, I'm going to be reviewing them more often.

Since I make my own yogurt - both regular and Greek, I was looking for a cookbook that would enable me to do more than just snack on it: in other words, mix it up a little so that I could get my dear husband to eat it (not that he doesn't, but not as much as I do).

The author discusses the types of yogurts, serving size, the process and sugar content.  She also gives instructions on how to make your own (I cheat; I have two electric yogurt makers - one that makes seven individual servings and one that makes a quart at a time).  Even though the instructions are thorough, I take the easy way out!

There are recipes to add to nearly everything from dressings to popsicles, which I have never thought of.  And the recipes themselves, for the ones that I have tried, are very good.  I'm fond of the cranberry scones, zucchini bread, mascarpone stuffed mushrooms, and chicken with mushroom sauce.

With over 100 recipes, you should find quite a few to try, and I am sure all of them are good (although I haven't yet had time to find out!)

Recommended for anyone who loves yogurt, loves to cook, and is willing to try new recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Yogurt-Kitchen-Delicious-Healthy-ebook/dp/B00EXTVS82/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...