Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Kernel of Truth (A Popcorn Shop Mystery #1)

Author:  Kristi Abbott
Genre:   Mystery

Mass Market Paperback; Digital Book
ISBN #:  9780425280911
Berkley Publishing
278 Pages
$7.54; $7.99 Amazon
March 1, 2016

⭐⭐


Opening a gourmet popcorn shop was never on Rebecca Anderson's bucket list.  But after a failed marriage to a celebrity chef, she's ready for her life to open up and expand.  She has returned to her hometown of Grand Lake, Ohio, with her popcorn-loving poodle, Sprocket, to start a new business - naturally called POPS.  As a delicious bonus, Cordelia "Coco" Bittles, a close family friend who has always been like a grandmother to Rebecca, owns the chocolate shop next door, and the two are thinking of combining their businesses.

But when Coco's niece, Jessica, discovers her on the floor of her chocolate shop, those dreams go up in smoke.  The local sheriff thinks Coco was the victim of a robbery gone wrong, but Rebecca isn't so sure.  As suspects start popping up all over, Rebecca is determined to turn up the heat and bring the killer to justice in a jiffy!

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

When Rebecca is making caramel topping one morning, she hears someone screaming and runs next door to find her friend Coco's niece Jessica.  When Rebecca investigates further, she sees that Coco is dead.  Now Rebecca wants to find who killed her friend, and why.  But doing so could put her in more danger than she realizes...

I really wanted to like this book, I really did.  It had a different premise and I liked that.  The first sentence should have been a precursor to the rest of the book.  But it wasn't.  I just didn't think much after that was believable.

First, this is a cozy mystery, and this woman swears like a sailor.  I know it doesn't bother some people, but I really don't care for cozies where the protagonist is throwing out cuss words like yesterday's trash.  Personal opinion, people.

I also didn't understand a popcorn shop that was open for breakfast.  Who buys popcorn for breakfast? What popcorn shop sells coffee?  They sell specialized popcorn and sodas.  That's pretty much it.  And if I found one that did sell coffee, I sure wouldn't eat there.  A substantial breakfast is so much better for you than a sweet popcorn bar.  I really can't imagine - unless there's no diners in this town - that it would be as popular as indicated.  Popcorn shops are specialized shops, not restaurants.  Then, have you ever eaten a popcorn ball?  They're nasty, sticky things and you're picking popcorn out of your teeth constantly.  I would have believed it if she sold specialized cones, tins, or bags of popcorn instead - because that's what popcorn shops sell. 

Then, when the rumor started that she killed Coco, this town was awfully quick to believe it.  I would hope that if it came down to it, they'd try her in another city, because she sure couldn't get a fair shake here.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  I guess if she hadn't done stupid things, it might have been easier on her, but since I didn't like her anyway - she was snarky and nasty - it really didn't matter.  Her husband probably didn't pay any attention to her because of the snark.  Who wants to spend time around someone like that?  I sure don't.

But the last was the animal cruelty.  I don't believe in it, and I certainly don't believe it's necessary in a cozy.  It wasn't necessary here.  There are several other ways that the scene could have been handled without the animal cruelty.  I will never read a book by an author who does this without a very good reason - and there wasn't one here.

In the end, we already knew who killed Coco practically from the beginning, and throughout the book it was proven time and again, so no surprise there.  Unfortunately, there just wasn't a lot for me to recommend this book.  I won't be reading this author again.  Sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Truth-Popcorn-Shop-Mystery/dp/0425280918/ref

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2980904923

More on Kristi Abbott's Books:  https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/kristi-abbott/

1 comment:

  1. I need my ex lover back Contact: Drsikama@gmail.com and his result is 100% sure and guaranteed!.
    I got a divorce from my husband when I was six months pregnant with my second child. We had been arguing and quarreling nonstop since the day our first child was conceived, no love nor trust from him anymore so he divorced me. And all these whiles, I have been trying all different means to get him back, I also tried some different spell casters here in the United States, but none of them could bring Richard back to me. It was only Dr. sikama who guaranteed me an urgent 28 hours spell casting, and he assure me that my husband will be with me again. I am writing to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you for keeping your promises, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back home. I was thrilled to know that you are specialized in reuniting Lovers. Thank you Sir, for helping me through the worst times of my life, for being such a great spell caster, and for giving me a love spell that has brought me so much joy in my marriage. My husband is back and promise never to leave me again. If you doubt his ability, trust me. You should take a chance. It pays off in ways you could never even imagine. If you are their right now and you need a powerful and urgent love spell to bring back your ex kindly contact Dr. sikama right now he is the only answer to restore your broken relationship or marriage. Here’s his contact: Email him at:drsikama@gmail.com ,Call/WhatsApp:+2348130725051

    ReplyDelete

A Spicy Side of Homicide (An Ivy Creek Mystery Book 14)

Author:      Ruth Baker Genre:       Mystery Digital Book  ASIN #:     B0CPVY5PKY Clean Tales Publishing 138 Pages $2.99 Amazon May 31, 2024...