Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Trick or Treat and Murder: A Freshly Baked Cozy Mystery Book 2

Author:  Kate Bell, Kathleen Suzette
Genre:   Mystery

Trade Paperback; Digital Book
ISBN #:  9781981016297
Self-Published
163 Pages
$8.09; $2.99 Amazon
May 5, 2018

⭐⭐


It's Halloween in Sandy Harbor, Maine, and time for Tricks and Treats of the deadly kind.  Blogger and foodie Allie McSwain finds the body of Sandy Harbor's event coordinator at the Halloween bazaar and sets out to find the murderer.  Romance is blossoming between Allie and Detective Alec Blanchard, who is determined to keep her out of harm's way, but Allie has other ideas.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽   

Allie McSwain is preparing for her booth at the Halloween bazaar, and when she arrives she begins decorating her booth.  However, when she steps behind the booth, she finds the body of Diana Bowen underneath it.  Now she's trying to find a killer while keeping herself alive...

I really wish I'd gotten a sample of this book before I purchased it.  The writing is puerile.  This is part of a sentence in the first paragraph: "...I thought the place would be bustling with people decorating the place and..."  Wouldn't it have been more effective to use a different word instead of using 'place' twice in the same sentence?

The author(s) also proceed to tell us every single movement of the protagonist from that sentence on.  Everything.  I have to wonder why Allie would kick the door with her foot and expect that to open it?  Most outside doors on buildings open out, not in, so what good would kicking it do?  (Pull from the outside, push from the inside.  Just sayin').

Then, she's not worried about the dead woman inside her booth, she's worried about the bazaar being cancelled.  Yes, that's right.  Heaven forbid they cancel a bazaar because a body was found.  By all means, go ahead and use the booth where someone was lying dead underneath it a few hours ago.  What the hey - it will be fun.  And oh, let's make it even more fun!  Let's wear costumes!  Who are these people?  Ghouls?

Everyone goes on as if nothing had happened just a few hours before.  She continues selling her items like no one had died.  Her friend just goes on selling stuff at the booth of the dead woman, and neither one seems broken up or upset - did I mention they were having fun wearing Halloween costumes?

Needless to say, I never read any more of this book since if it was this unbelievable in only a few chapters, the rest would have me rolling my eyes so hard I'd get a headache.  Sorry, but I won't be reading any more by this author.

https://www.amazon.com/Trick-Treat-Murder-Freshly-Mystery/dp/1981016295/ref

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3005801770

More on Kate Bell's Books:  https://www.fantasticfiction.com/b/kate-bell/

1 comment:

  1. i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my wife left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called her she didn't pick up when she came back home the 3rd week he told me she wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night she left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Priest OJOKA who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my wife will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my wife came back kneeling and begging she canceled the divorce we are now happy together Priest OJOKA can help you too Email him at dr.ojokaspelltemple@gmail .com or contact him on his WhatsApp +2348144172934

    ReplyDelete

A Spicy Side of Homicide (An Ivy Creek Mystery Book 14)

Author:      Ruth Baker Genre:       Mystery Digital Book  ASIN #:     B0CPVY5PKY Clean Tales Publishing 138 Pages $2.99 Amazon May 31, 2024...