Monday, November 16, 2020

What's Your Enneatype? (An Essential Guide to the Enneagram)

Author:  Liz Carver and Josh Green
Genre:   Self-Help

Trade Paperback; Digital Book
ISBN #:  9781592339525
Fair Winds Press
176 Pages
$19.79; $18.80 Amazon
August 4, 2020

⭐⭐⭐⭐


Pronouned ebb-ee-uh-gram, stemming from the Greek words enna (nine) and grammes (a written symbol), the Enneagram is a centuries-old categorization tool that classifies human personalities into nine interconnected personality types.

In What's Your Enneatype? you'll learn -- through in-depth descriptions, illustrations, and more -- how to assess how you think, feel, and experience life so that you can correctly identify which of the nine types you are.

Authors Liz Carver and Josh Green, creators of the hugely popular Instragram account @justmyenneatype, help you discover how knowing your type -- and the types of those around you -- can affect your daily life, your decisions, and your relationships.  You can then use this wisdom to live life with more clarity, peace, and insight.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

I found this book interesting in that it gives a comprehensive view of all nine Enneatypes.  But, unfortunately, it doesn't give you any information on how to discover which type you are.  Instead, the authors want you to read all nine types and then choose the closest to your personality.

This I found was a disservice to others.  I, myself, chose to go onto the Internet and take the tests that are offered there to get this done quickly, and therefore discover what I already knew about myself.  I say that because not everyone wants to read an entire book and then go back and state 'hey, I should have stopped at one!' because out of curiosity you will read the entire book and then realize that, only frustrating yourself.

I get that the authors wanted you to read the entire book - after all, isn't that why it was written in the first place? - but honestly, I would have preferred those little 'tests' thrown in at the beginning to make things easier.  However, I will say that in reading my 'number,' several of the things written were right on the mark; but others not quite so much.  Or maybe I've just adjusted through the years and done what I've needed to, to get where I am.  Who can say?  (I did think it was fascinating to find that the color chosen for my type is actually my favorite color, so there's that...)

In the end, this is a neat little book that I found fun to read and actually had some thought-provoking information that was worth the read.  As such, I would recommend this book to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...