Tuesday, January 31, 2023

A Case of Garden Bones (Willow Cove Mysteries, Book 1)

Author:    Lily Rose Lane
Genre:     Mystery

Digital Book
ASIN #:    B0BSTBT91N
Whiskered Mysteries
176 Pages
$2.99 Amazon
January 30, 2023

⭐⭐⭐⭐


Aubrey Rose here.  After three short years of marriage, I'm single and back in Willow Cove...living with my mother as co-owner of a bed and breakfast.

I knew there would be surprises in store but the handyman's dog unearthing human bones in the rose garden wasn't on my list.  The town police chief isn't concerned about the remains and the locals aren't talking.

The handyman, Gavin, is my only help in solving this mystery.

As we dig up new clues, more town secrets are revealed,  Maybe these bones, and the enigma surrounding them, should have remained buried.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

Aubrey Rose, after three short years of marriage to a cheating husband, returns home to Willow Cove, Georgia, to help her widowed mother run the town's B&B.  When their handyman Gavin's dog Curly digs up some bones in the rose garden, they discover they're human.  But when the sheriff doesn't seem to care about the case, the two decide to form a partnership to find out who was killed and why.  After all, if it wasn't murder, why would they be buried there?

But no one in town seems to know who they are, and if they do, they aren't telling Aubrey.  So they take what little clues they have, and try to find out the truth.  Aubrey also discovers that the handyman she thought she hated isn't so bad, and they have more in common than she could ever have imagined...

This is the first book in a new series, and I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Ms. Lane is a talented writer, and she's given her first turn in the cozy mystery genre an interesting twist.  Yes, the protagonist has returned home penniless and in need, but the mystery is gleaning clues throughout the book, and using each one to fill out the truth.

It's a fun read, and I'm glad I had the chance to read it.  The beginning of this series gives the murder a twist that no one might have seen coming (I only did because I read a lot of these); and is worth sitting down and taking a chance on this book.  I look forward to the next in the series.  Recommended.

I was given an advance copy through the author and Booksprout, but this in no way influenced my review.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...