Monday, December 11, 2023

Pati Jinich Treasures of The Mexican Table

Author:    Pati Jinich
Genre:     Cookbooks

Hardcover; Digital Book
ISBN #:    9780358086765
Harvest Publications
416 Pages
$20.49; $21.99 Amazon
November 23, 2021

⭐⭐


Although many of us can rattle off our favorite authentic Mexican dishes, we might be hard pressed to name more than ten.  Which is preposterous, given that Mexico has a rich culinary history stretching back thousands of years.  For the last decade, Pati Jinich has sought out the culinary treasures of her home country, from birria, to salsa macha, to coyotas, to carne asada.  

Many of these dishes are local specialties, heirlooms passed down through generations, unknown outside of their original regions.  Others have become national sensations.  Each recipe is a classic.  Each one comes with a story told in Pati's warm, relatable style.  And each has been tested in Pati's American kitchen to ensure it is the best of its kind.  Together, these essential recipes paint a vivid picture of the richness of Mexico.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

I learned to cook as a child, and I have loved it ever since.  I can't count the hundreds of cookbooks that I own, and I use them all.  I am also looking for new recipes to try.  Sadly, this cookbook isn't it.  While some of the recipes sound interesting, most take a lot of ingredients (I counted 23 in one of them!) and I don't know who would want to spend hours in a kitchen making dinner, but it's not me.  I have no problem cooking lovingly, taking time with my meal, but these just don't sound appealing at all.

Then there are the ingredients -- several of the dishes use ingredients which can only be found in Mexican grocery stores.  (At least they're not carried in the store I regularly shop at).  Unless you are cooking something special, all ingredients should be readily available at your local grocery.

But the thing is that there are a lot of dishes using organ meat, and I just don't eat that.  So while the book does have some delicious sounding recipes, none of them are anything I would make.  And I do love Mexican food, so there's that...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...