Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Running Haunted

Author:    Effrosyni Moschoudi
Genre:     Romance

Paperback; Digital Book
ISBN #:    9798643411048
Independently Published
371 Pages
$14.24; $3.99 Amazon
May 5, 2020

⭐⭐⭐


Kelly Mellios is a stunning, athletic woman, who has learned -- the hard way -- to value herself.  Having just finished her first marathon in the alluring Greek town of Nafplio, she bumps into Alex, a gorgeous widower with three underage children, who is desperately looking for a housekeeper.

The timing seems perfect, seeing that Kelly aches to start a new life, and Nafplio seems like the ideal place to settle down.  She accepts the position on the spot, but little does she know that Alex's house has an extra inhabitant that not even the family knows about.

The house is haunted by Alex's late wife, who has unfinished business to tend to.  By using the family pet, a quirky pug named Charlie, the ghost is able to communicate with Kelly and asks her for help.  She claims she wants to ensure her loved ones are happy before she departs, but offers very little information about her plans.

Kelly freaks out at first, but gradually finds herself itching to help.  It is evident there's room for improvement in this family...Plus, her growing attraction towards Alex is overpowering.

Will Kelly do the ghost's bidding?  How will it affect her?  And just how strange is this pug?

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

I have to be honest and say that I started to read this without reading the entire blurb.  Therefore, I didn't know it was a romance.  My fault.  I don't really care for romance too much, as there's always too much "lusting" for the male on the part of the female, and it really doesn't add to the story.  But oh, well.  Anyway, this book had that quality in it, so it took me a while to finish, which I try to do with all books I read (yet don't always succeed).

First off, I wondered about her giving the dog chocolate treats since chocolate can kill dogs.  That bothered me.  Then I wondered how quickly everyone bent to Kelly's will (a matter of a couple of days).  She had changed their diet and no one seemed to care.  Kids like sugar.  It's a given.  Yet not one peep, not even from the six-year-old.  I get that she wants everyone to eat healthy (I do).  But I can't even imagine what would happen if I wanted kids to go cold turkey on sugar instead of gradually moving it away from them.  Again, just my opinion.

I was disappointed in the ghost part, especially since most of it seemed to be in Kelly's head, and not an apparition at all until toward the end of the book.  I suppose romance lovers will enjoy this book, for myself, not so much.  I found the writing to be a bit simplistic, with everything coming together too easily for my taste.  I found it a bit on the boring side.  But again, that's just me.

The ending was stereotypical, with the expected love match made and the family happy together.  That's as it should be, and I don't think it's any spoiler to say so, as I won't give away any of the "ghostly" aspects of the book.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Easier Dead Than Drawn

A Paint by Murder Mystery #3 Author:     Bailee Abbott Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     978168512639 Level Best Books...