Monday, February 11, 2013

The Alpine Advocate

Author: Mary Daheim
Genre: Mystery

3 Stars

This is the first in the Emma Lord murder mystery books.  Emma has moved to this town in the foothills of Washington's Cascade Mountains and bought the local newspaper.  When the grandson of a local rich man, Mark Doukas, is murdered, Emma tries to get to the truth, but nobody is talking.
 
This book started off slow and boring, and I almost didn't stick with it; but I'm glad I did, if only for the plot.  The murder mystery itself was done very well.

However, at the same time, it seemed there were so many characters that I couldn't remember who was who.  Everyone was related to everyone, and there were so many of them. It felt like she was telling us about everyone in town, but after awhile I didn't even care anymore.
 
Also, the characters in the book just seemed to grate on my nerves, including Emma.  I won't tell you why; you will have to read the book and find out for yourself.  (I really do try not to give any spoilers on this site).

But, since I always try and be fair to an author, I will continue to read this series and see if the next book is any better.  Only because of the mystery did I give it 3 stars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Spicy Side of Homicide (An Ivy Creek Mystery Book 14)

Author:      Ruth Baker Genre:       Mystery Digital Book  ASIN #:     B0CPVY5PKY Clean Tales Publishing 138 Pages $2.99 Amazon May 31, 2024...