Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Tabby Trouble (A Cat Aunt Cozy Mystery Book 1)

Author:    Iris Leigh
Genre:     Mystery

Digital Book
ASIN #:    B095HZFDL2
Independently Published
93 Pages
$2.99 Amazon
July 15, 2021

⭐⭐


I don't ask for much, and I know for sure I didn't ask to communicate with cats.

But when I agree to cat sit my best friend's cats, that's exactly what I get for my trouble -- well, that and a baffling murder mystery to solve.

Now my next-door neighbor is dead under mysterious circumstances, the talking cat is giving me orders, and  my cat is missing, and somehow both are connected.

It's up to me to figure out how and why and solve the murder in a town full of potential suspects.

I'm going to need a little more than luck and a chatty cat to help me solve this puzzle, but there's one big problem.  I've never solved a crime before, let alone investigated one.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽

I love books with pets, especially cats, but this book just didn't make any sense from page one,  I also really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't, no matter how hard I tried.  There were just too many inconsistencies, and the protagonist was just Too Stupid to Live.  Below are some of the examples of this:

When the victim dies at the beginning, the protagonist, Kat, admits she didn't know the woman well at all, but was told by her neighbor, Mrs. West, whose husband is a retired police detective, that the woman was murdered.

Then Kat has an 'accident' with a toaster that allows her to hear the thoughts her (temporary) cats are saying, and also those of the victim's cat, Rusty, who wants her to solve the murder.  So obviously she must solve the murder.  But the thoughts those cats are thinking would be nowhere near what cats think, I believe.  As an owner of cats, I think they'd most rather be home sleeping or wanting to spend all their free time with me.  And never would they want to go outside and leave their cushy homes -- my cats never even try to escape when I open the front door; and it's also not safe for cats to be outside; they can catch diseases and have a chance of a shorter life span.  So that's irresponsible of Kat not to even look for the cat.

Then she goes to a gym and starts working out -- without workout clothes.  Unless she was wearing them, she didn't use the locker room to change, and no one noticed she was wearing street clothes.  Very odd!

Kat also started opening cupboards at the dead woman's house while it was full of people.  Say what?  Who would do something like that?  Snooping with a house full of people?  Not even being discreet about it?  Then being surprised when someone notices?  Why was everyone there, anyway?  There was no mention about a wake; she just goes in the house and everyone is there.  Another odd situation.

There were no descriptions of anything -- especially Kat.  We don't know what she looks like, how tall she is, whether she's attractive, etc.  Where does she live?  What does the surrounding area look like?  We also don't know if she has a job.  Supposedly she has her own home, but never went to work during the investigation, or spoke to anyone to take time off.  So what does she do for a living?  Watch cats?  That she doesn't really like?  The book left me with too many questions and not enough answers.

Unfortunately, this was a simple mystery with simple cardboard characters that didn't give us anything to think about.  There just weren't enough pages to flesh out the characters at all. As for the reason for the murder?  Since we didn't get involved with the characters, it really didn't matter.  Sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Battered and Buried (An All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 7)

Author:     Lena Gregory Genre:      Mystery Paperback; Digital Book ISBN #:     9781960511584 Beyond the Page Publishing 188 Pages $14.99; ...